Friday, August 8, 2014

Miracles, Tender Mercies and Honesty

I had quite an amazing experience today...a 'frozen in time' always remember experience.

I went to town at 11am so I could run by the bank and meet Emily at Rite Aid to eat lunch.  At the bank I deposited Lindsey's $175 check for the salmon Tom is getting for her in Alaska, and Tom needed cash to take so I pulled out $500.  I (out of all the other crazy things going on this morning) had some clear-headed thinking and took an envelope and followed a prompting to leave the cash in the car so I wasn't carrying it in case something were to happen to my purse.

It also turned out that Cindy met me at Rite Aid and gave me her $200 in cash for the salmon she is getting so I stuck that in my purse cause we were standing in the parking lot, and I had mentioned to her how I didn't like carrying so much money on me.

I ran all my errands (had a lot of shopping for more supplies we needed for this money draining project in our house)...after spending $101 at Lowes my last stop was Walmart and I loaded my stuff in the car and took my cart over where there were other carts...not in the usual cart place but some cement thing (don't remember what it was) that was right by the road where cars pull past the front of the store. 

I got in my car and was very glad to be heading home!  It was craZy busy in town today and on the roads...maybe because of the fair, and Friday, and later in the day than I like to shop.  I pulled into the drive-way so glad to be home and done, popped the trunk, took off my sunglasses and put them in the case and reached for my purse to put them in there--but my purse wasn't there!  It wasn't anywhere in the front.  My heart nearly stopped.  I got out and looked in the trunk--no!  I was in shock.  I remember taking that cart back so clearly and did not remember seeing my purse in there at all, but I know I had it when I left the store. 

A sense of calm enveloped me, even though under the surface was sheer panic.  I unloaded the trunk as fast as I could and had enough presence of mind to put the ice cream in the freezer and the milk in the fridge (the only cold items I'd bought)...went to my computer to email Traci (in case she was trying to get ahold of me about coming tonight) but the internet wasn't working (and I remembered she doesn't have internet anyway)...I wanted to call Walmart but for the first time in my life I was stranded at home with no phone--the strangest feeling ever.

All I could do was get in my car and drive back to town--to the busy craZy traffic and all!  But not before I knelt in prayer and asked Heavenly Father to bless an honest person to find my purse (as my mind raced about all the sorts of people that frequent Wal-Mart).

I had a lot to think about on the way in, but that amazing feeling of calm and peace continued.  However, I did have to consider the consequences of loosing the contents of my purse.  The two biggest concerns were my cell phone (how would I ever replace it when they are so expensive) and Cindy's money.  I thought about the money we have been spending on home improvements and Lindsey's wedding money (and how would I ever manage with such a huge loss right now).  I was trying to make a plan about what to do if the purse wasn't there--I couldn't call anyone--how would I put a stop on my bank account and credit cards....

I also wondered why I hadn't been prompted about my purse, cause I'd had the prompting over the $500 cash...but then I remembered when I got in the car I had a prompting to check my phone to see if I had any texts but I thought, I just want to hurry and get home.

I got more nervous as I was nearing Wal-Mart and it was so scarey walking in there knowing I was about to find out the fate of my purse.  Of course I drove past where I'd left my cart--right where it would be so easily spotted by anyone driving or walking past.  The customer service line was super long again and there was only one person.  My legs were wanting to give out on me and it seemed an eternity.  But I did come up with the plan to go right over to Emily's if the purse wasn't there.  Right before it was my turn another employee showed up to help, which I later thought was so fortuitous also. 

I said, I just wanted to know if I there was any chance someone turned in a teal-colored purse--but I guess I said it so soft she had me repeat it, and then she lit right up and said yes! a store clerk had found it and she said "come with me."  (that's why it was lucky she came along since we had to leave the customer service area)  She took me around the corner and said, I need to ask your name and then have you show me your ID in your purse because we are not allowed to look inside if one is turned in.  It was in a locked room, like an office.  She said would you check the contents and make sure everything is alright.  She was so sincere and so concerned it really touched and impressed me.  I looked in and saw my phone and said, yes everything is alright and I pulled out my wallet and took out the two $100 bills and told her my friend had just given me this for my husband to buy fish in Alaska when she saw that she hardly even looked at my ID...she just wanted to give me a hug.  She was as relieved and happy as I was.  It's a wonder I didn't burst out in tears, but I really felt the Lord was with me.  He kept me calm and I thought of how I've always tried to be honest, and how I pay my tithing, and how I've been trying to serve faithfully in my calling and do indexing on the side...I don't know how, but even amid the fears I felt that he was watching over me.  I definitely felt the hand of His incredible love and mercy and power today. 

I did feel a little weak after I got in the car and wished I had someone to drive me home.  After I got home I also realized my prescription eye glasses were in there along with my b-day money and my coupon booklet and UP rewards, my receipts for purchases made that might need to be returned, and just so many other things--a purse is really the sum of a woman's life!

When I got home I knelt and said a prayer of gratitude.  I witnessed a miracle today.
My only loss was a couple of hours time and gas to drive back in. 

No comments: