Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Major Cleaning Project

I am making this post for journal/history purposes so I can be inspired when things begin to look shabby again--there is always room for improvement.

So my storage room is the hardest place in the house to clean.  However, after 3 years of not doing much but some reorganizing I could not stand it any longer and it was time.

This time, however, I did a way bigger cleaning project than I have ever done out there, and unfortunately it had to start with some repairs which delayed it a few weeks, but thankfully by pulling all the stuff off the top shelf and saying I was going to putty it and paint it, he got on the ball and replaced part of the ceiling from a water leak that he has never been able to locate (but he will be trying again now that the ceiling is repaired)

There is a hole beginning in the wood next to the water stain above the black pot.
It was pretty nasty and smelly when he cut the board out.  It got aired out for at least a week, and then somewhat painted up inside to hopefully keep the boards from getting any worse.  He put 2 vents in the ceiling to help keep it aired out.  I said, now the water can leak through the vents.  And he said, well then we can put a bucket under it.  It really doesn't leak that much.  We think it was probably sweating more than leaking cause he said the boards were pretty hot up there when he cut the board out.  You can definitely tell we put a new board in and can still see the water damage on the other board, but it's a whole lot better and a lot less offensive (to me) now. 
The floor didn't look so hot either.  When I pulled the water jugs out I texted this pic to Tom at work and said, Your turn!  So he scrubbed all the black off and recaulked.
And I painted....
And got rid of more than half the water jugs.  Now none of them touch the walls.  I left at least 4", plus it's so much neater now.
The food isle looked like this before:
And now it looks like this:
I pulled out, and Tom emptied out, a ton of jars...maybe 100, and I boxed up and did not put back quite a few of the empty ones.  I do need to do green beans though, which is why there are empty jars next to the green beans.

Second isle before (well, sort of before, I had done some of it before I remembered to take a picture):
And after:
I can stand going out there now!   And don't have to scoot around all the stuff that was in the isles.  Yes!
 **September update:  Tom spent about 3 weeks fixing the roof above the storage room.  This is the third time, but hopefully he made some changes that will keep it from leaking ever again.