Friday, June 27, 2014

The Green Bathroom

Several years ago I bought a cute turtle and frog shower curtain for the second bathroom.  When Traci & Eli lived here, during the earlier time, Elivia loved the color green.  In fact, she liked green and black.  When we were in the store once, when she was going to turn 4, I asked her what fabric she wanted for a dress I was going to make her and she said she wanted green and black.  Needless to say I didn't buy any fabric that day, but later I did buy some solid green for her dress. 

She only stopped loving the color green when Emma was old enough to say her favorite color was pink.  Then Elivia's new favorite color was pink.

After I painted my bathroom and it looked so nice, I wanted to paint the second bathroom, and I decided to paint it green to match the shower curtain, and because Elivia liked green.  But I never could find time to get around to it til after they moved.  And I was still stuck on painting it green, so I picked out a green about 4 weeks ago and got to work on it.

We have "manufactured home paneling", and the paneling has a glossy print on it, so I had to paint 2 coats of Bulleyes 123 primer.  Then I put the first coat of green on.  I thought I was going to die.  It looked awful!  It looked like a glow-worm exploded!  Being a tall and skinny bathroom I thought it was going to be like the inside of a celery stalk.  All I could do was put on the second coat.  Next day I was going to go get a different color and repaint it, but after about 24 hours had passed it mellowed out so I decided I could live with it.  By the time I got the third coat of paint on I was loving it.  It had now become the color I had envisioned.  I guess with the white primer underneath it it really makes it a lot brighter than it actually is--which explains why the tan color I put in my bedroom looked pink when I was painting it on.  (panic painting--love it)

I had to change my decorating plan because the crazy thing is, I put the turtle shower curtain in the washer and the paint peeled off a lot of the frogs and turtles, so I had to get a different shower curtain. So I decided to pop the green with some boldly bright colors.  I had to wait 3 weeks to put the vinyl decals on the walls so the paint could get good and dry--just when I was getting to like it just the way it was!  So now I will see how I like the decals. 
I also painted the cabinet white and I like that a lot.  And with the vinegar/dawn cleaner I got the shower really clean.  (it cleaned up better than my shower did for some reason)  Oh, and double yeah to getting rid of that green light cover--lol.  One of the kids made that in school years ago.  I was good and tired of it.

Before
After
Before
After
Before
After
Now there is that glow-worm effect I was seeing before with the light hitting it just right.  So glad it didn't turn out like that!  Kind of like the pic below that I took after the second coat when I was hating it, but I also saw how the lighter areas showed in the pic how it was supposed to look so it actually encouraged me.
That is the true green in the pic below.  It's just a pretty creamy green.
My favorite part is the white cabinet.  I love white cabinets!  And I saved a bunch of money by spray painting all the handles, hinges, TP holder, etc.  Glad to have that phony gold color that was peeling off out of there.  [even the toilet plunger got a face lift--lol]
Oh! And my little picture I made to cover up holes in the wall that wouldn't putty or paint over (good ole' paneling)...I was looking for pictures online and saw this saying on a wall plaque and after thinking and thinking the light came on:  I'm a scrapbooker!  So I designed my own with the saying because I liked it so much.  Cost:  Zero.  I had everything, even the frame, which I painted white.  I modge-podged the background and then put clear acrylic on it so it would be water proof.
I'm not sure how I feel about the Gerber daisy decals...maybe it's the stems, or maybe I just need to get used to it...But it is definitely cheerful and happy and colorful.
Well, the house still has a lot of things that need fixing and changing, most of which I can't do, but this bathroom cheered me up considerably.  It's always nice to have a bright spot.  Something new and redone in your house.  I hope it puts a smile on the face of those who use it, especially the grandkids.






No comments: