After 19 years of struggling with iron water on the shower stalls I discovered a simple way to get them really clean, and it's not toxic like Iron Out, and it's a whole lot cheaper, too.
Recipe
In a spray bottle pour:
1 part vinegar - heat in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds.
Then add:
1 part Dawn, classic blue
I tried this first on the second bathroom stall that had a huge build up of iron. I did not know how I would get it clean but when I heard about this on facebook I thought it was worth a try. I could not believe how easily it was coming off, however I did scrub with a scouring pad for about an hour. Then I gave it a second one hour scrubbing after I painted the bathroom.
Second shower wasn't as easy and I think it's because I made the mistake of buying Dawn Platinum at Costco instead of classic blue Dawn (which I had a small bottle of when I cleaned the other shower). However, after me scrubbing for an hour, and then Tom helping me scrub for another hour, it is looking better than it has ever looked since we moved in. I think with weekly or bi-weekly cleanings it will eventually get rid of all the build up and be easy to maintain. You just spray it on. Let it sit for several minutes, wipe (if you don't have huge build up like we did), and rinse.
Also, there weren't nearly as many suds with the classic blue dawn as there was with the platinum.
I have scrubbed and scrubbed with Iron Out (which is lethal to breath), and many other products and nothing else has ever been able to work through those hard water deposits--even though we have a water softener.
(And our corner shower caddy was completely rusted out in the back so I have to get a new one.)

No comments:
Post a Comment