
As I've said before, I love Women's Conference (WC) but it doesn't stop at just attending it once a year. I savor the talks all throughout the year. I remember a talk in 1999 that I loved so much that I shrunk it down and printed it out on card stock and used to carry it in my Sunday bag so I could read parts of it during the Sacrament. Last week, for some reason, that talk was brought to my mind and I thought that I ought to get it out and read it again. I didn't have time, then a few days later I heard the news that the author had passed away. He was one of my favorite speakers because of this talk: Truman G. Madsen. The talk is
"The Savior, the Sacrament, and Self-Worth." (I've made that a link to take you directly to the whole talk--it's a very long one but oh-so-worth reading!) I've been gone for several days and had company before that, but I left the talk open on my study table to read when I came home. Today I started reading it, and it is filled with so many treasures! For instance, this quote from George Q. Cannon:
"Now, this is the truth. We humble people, we who feel ourselves sometimes so worthless—so good for nothing. We are not so worthless as we think. There is not one of us but what God's love has been expended upon. There is not one of us that He has not cared for and caressed. There is not one of us that He has not desired to save and that he has not devised means to save. There is not one of us that He has not given his angels charge concerning. We may be insignificant and contemptible in our own eyes, and even in the eyes of others, but the truth remains that we are children of God and He has actually given his angels charge concerning us and they watch over us and have us in their keeping."
(
Gospel Truth, comp. Jerreld L. Newquist, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1974, 1:2.)
What comfort, especially with all the not so great news in the world. And I only read 3 pages of his talk today!
And another quote in his talk from President David O. McKay:
"Be loyal to the royal within you!"Have a wonderful day!
No comments:
Post a Comment