Friday, October 17, 2008

Liberty Apple

I decided on a favorite apple this year. In the past I couldn't stand the smaller apples. They were annoying to use. But this year maybe they were a bit larger than usual, and their flavor has been amazing. My dad has at least 3 small red apples in his orchard. We used the Jonathan to make the juice. My favorite is the Liberty. It is extremely crisp and juicy. Not as sweet as some of the others, but not so tart either. It looks like a small Red Delicious apple. It's so red that on the tree it looked like plums about a week ago, but I guess as they are now in their prime they are just bright red. This little tree is a cute tree...easy to stand under and pick.Up the hill you can see my parent's house and then below their house is their shed, which has a deck, and on the edge of that deck is where we had the apple press on Wednesday. So, it looks out over the orchard and the rest of the valley that is part of my dad's property. It's a nice view. I'll attach a few pictures I took in 2006 at the end of this post.

These are the ones that when dried with the peel on, the peel stayed bright red.
I was thinking that it was interesting that my favorite apple happened to be called Liberty. I have been thinking a lot about "liberty" lately. I looked the word up and it's defined as: "the freedom to act or believe without being stopped by unnecessary force." This month I posted a section on my blog about Moroni and the Title of Liberty, and how we need to make a stand for the rights of our liberties and our freedoms. I found this scripture though, that I think is very fitting for my apple.
It's in Galatians 5:1

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free."

No matter what the future holds, no matter the difficulties...that freedom, with which Christ has made us free, can never be taken from us, as long as we keep His commandments and stand fast in doing that which we know is right!

That...to me...is as beautiful and delicious as this Liberty Apple!!



____________________________________________________________
View of my parent's property:

A lucky shot of the orchard when the sun was shining down into it!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Those apples sure do look good! So...dumb question...how do you put up youtube videos on your blog? i tried to do it and I guess I'm dumb cuz I could not get it to work. Any help? thanks!

Pink Posts said...

Thanks Rachel!
I sent you an email. =)

Lindy Leigh said...

I love these apple posts! Makes me want to drive down and do it too! YUM!

Your pictures are beautiful...the sun shining down is awesome! Oh...yeah...how do you get the you tube videos on?

Pink Posts said...

LOL! OK, here goes on the youtube thing. You go to youtube.com and search for the video you want. To the right of the video is a gray box with the yellow word "subscribe" on it. Below that is URL and Embed with codes/commands inside the box. At the other end of the Embed box is a little blue box with a blue flower/sun thing on it. Click on that and it says "Customize"...so open that box. Then pick the color border you want. I definitely and gladly clicked on "don't include related videos!" Then just copy the command line in the Embed box and paste it into the "Edit html" section of your post creation box. It's as simple as that! =)

Lindy Leigh said...

Thanks!