After my parents planted their apple orchard they invested in an apple press. So, although we haven't used it every year, since the apples vary in production from year to year, whenever there is a great production year, like this year--my brother Mathew comes down from Seattle, and those of us who can, congregate to make juice. This year was tough getting everyone together on the same day, so my immediate family (what's left of us that is!) juiced on Wednesday. Luckily Tom and Emily were both able to help cause---it's A LOT of work!!
First you have to PICK enough apples! So that takes some time and effort. We had pretty nice weather. Not hot, not cold with some warm sunshine and a cool breeze....


This is Emily.

The biggest blessing was this daughter of mine helping. This is a big deal cause we have just been through the "teen-age" years when being with and helping your parents is not top on their list--usually. I was amazed that she stuck out the whole day and I'm not kidding, she was extremely helpful!!

Like I said...it takes A LOT of apples! This isn't even half of them.

I've never done this without Mathew running the press. I really like it when he's running the press, and besides, he makes it fun.

Most of us (lol, 3 of us this time) are washing the apples and cutting them in half. If they have worm or earwig holes we toss them. With as many apples as I have done this year I can't believe I have hardly seen any worms or earwigs.

As we cut them, Mathew takes them and feeds them into the hopper and turns it on. There is a chopper that chops them up into small bits. Then he slides the bucket over and uses the press that he cranks down to get the juice out. It runs down the slanted bottom portion of the press into containers that we set there. My dad was in charge of the containers.

It got really COLD while we were cutting apples. My fingers and toes got so cold. It took over 4 hours from picking to getting done pressing the juice. I was glad to get in my mom's warm house, and she had some hot food ready for us. It tasted so good! And, apple pie for dessert. (That was October 15, 2008) We brought home 8 gallons of juice. (plus they got several gallons, too)
Today (Thursday) I poured the juice through cheesecloth (to keep out any sediment) and heated it in a big pot.

Then I poured it into hot jars and processed it for 10 minutes (only it takes longer cause you have to get it boiling really good before you start the timer.)

I just love these close up pictures. I think maybe I just do all this work for the pictures! Haha!


My kitchen is VERY STICKY! But it smells good! I can't believe I got 34 quarts of juice! At least for all that work you actually fill a lot of jars.
I couldn't resist adding these pictures from 2006 with my nephew Soren. He was really a big helper.




1 comment:
What a blessing to have access to so much delicious fruit. I know your family will be blessed because of your efforts. It's good to see that you had help! I can understand why you would be tempted to do all of that work simply for the photographs. Beautiful!
Post a Comment