Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Drying Apples





My mom has been trying to talk me into drying apples for years, but I wouldn't do it cause it was too much work! She'd give me dried apples and I'd hardly eat them. Not sure what was WRONG with me...cause she gave me some this year and my husband & I ate them in about a week!! So, I borrowed my sister-in-law's dehydrator and it actually is not as much work as I thought. Of course my mom peels and slices them by hand. I've been using my "apple-peeler-slicer-corer" and it's pretty fast. Eli suggested doing them round, and that works great. I've been trying them with the peelings on and I think they're good that way. I think it gives them more flavor and it sure gives them some color. The Liberty apples with the plum-colored skin sure dry up pretty. I'm not sure if the skin will toughen with storage time, though. Guess I'll keep experimenting. I think my attitude has improved on the "free apples" now that groceries and gas are so high. I think I am learning to be more grateful for the resources that are around me.

No comments: