Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Way

I have decided that if I were to pick a most favorite general conference talk of all times, it would be Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge's talk "The Way" from Oct. 2008. I'll never forget how I felt when I heard him give this talk during GC. I thought to myself, if ever I could pen the words of how I feel about Jesus Christ, Elder Corbridge's talk would pretty much be it, word for word. Oh that I had that gift. But he has shared his gift of writing his love of the Savior with us, and I can bask in that gift.
I've read the talk several times. I finally figured out how to load it onto my MP3 player and now I can listen to it almost daily. There have been days when I was feeling down that I listened to it twice in a row. Today I listened to it as I walked to the mailbox and shed a few tears as I found I could anticipate a sentence and say it out loud as he said it. I feel the spirit of Jesus Christ so strongly in this talk. If we ever have any doubt of His love for us, or His desire to help us in whatever way in this life, this talk can convince you that He means what He says, and that He is what He is, and He came to do what He says He will do. This part, I love:

"Only God can bless us.
Only He can sustain us.
Only He can cause our hearts to beat and give us breath.
Only He can preserve and protect us.
Only He can give us strength to bear up the burdens of life.
Only He can give us power, knowledge, peace, and joy.
Only He can forgive our sins.
Only He can heal us.
Only He can change us and forge a godly soul.
Only He can bring us back into His presence.
And He will do all of that and much more..."

But it's conditional:
"...if we but remember Him to keep His commandments. What then shall we do? We will remember Him to keep His commandments. It is the only intelligent thing to do."

With all my heart I believe in what Elder Corbridge counsels us to do about getting and keeping the Holy Ghost:
"Nothing in this life is of greater worth than the supernal gift of the Holy Ghost. It is the source of joy, peace, knowledge, strength, love, and every other good thing. With the Atonement, it is the power by which we may be changed and made strong where we are weak...Every good thing depends on getting and keeping the power of the Holy Ghost in our lives. Everything depends on that."

I also love this truth and encouragement:
"Don’t think you can’t. We might think we can’t really follow Him because the standard of His life is so astonishingly high as to seem unreachable. We might think it is too hard, too high, too much, beyond our capacity, at least for now. Don’t ever believe that. While the standard of the Lord is the highest, don’t ever think it is only reachable by a select few who are most able. In this singular instance life’s experience misleads us...while the Lord’s invitation to follow Him is the highest of all, it is also achievable by everyone, not because we are able, but because He is, and because He can make us able too...Get on the path and never, ever give up. You never give up. You just keep on going. You don’t quit, and you will make it."

There is so much more to his words. They speak volumes of who we are and who we can become because of HIM.
"Jesus Christ is the Way. He is Light and Life, Bread and Water, the Beginning and the End, the Resurrection and the Life, the Savior of the world, the Truth, and the Way."

No comments: