A lot of people I know have read and liked the JK Rowling's series, "Harry Potter". My girls were reading them, and then reading them again...and then reading them again! I finally decided to read and see for myself what it was all about, though I had also heard comments against reading books about wizardry and sorcery and all that. Well....I loved the series. There were many times in the books where I found spiritual analogies and things that the "wisest wizard of all", Albus Dumbledore, would say, that were just awe-inspiring. One of those was when he told Harry, "We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy." (Goblet of Fire)
Although in my mind for a long time I thought he said, "The time has come to choose between what is right and what is easy." It seems so applicable for our time, but never more especially than for today. But that wasn't Dumbledore's only words of wisdom. He also said:
"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices." (Chamber of Secrets)
And:
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies. But it takes a great deal more to stand up to your friends." (Sorcerer's Stone)
And:
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light." (Prisoner of Azkaban)
I'd like to paraphrase that last quote a bit to say: Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn TO THE LIGHT! The true source of light in this world is Jesus Christ. He is "THE" Light.
I am probably the last person to be politically minded, or to talk politics, or read about politics, or think much about politics. Hey, I'd rather be scrapbooking! =) In hindsight, though, because I am spiritually minded, perhaps it is more important to be politically minded than I had thought before...therefore, perhaps the time has come...
To make a stand, and stand to be counted!
I don't really know who Glenn Beck is, but he was quoted as saying: "It isn't about 'left' or 'right', it's about 'right' or 'wrong'.
The candidates for president this year have looked rather bleak from the start. The only ray of hope I saw was in Mitt Romney, but of course he was knocked down quickly for having morals and being religious, especially for being "Mormon." I cried when he backed out of the race because I didn't like the options left. But I really felt something when he said that he dropped out of the race because he felt that it was critical that we backed up McCain in order to defeat Obama and Hilary, because either one of them would pull our troops out of Iraq, and our country would be left wide open to our enemies. Well, that was enough to convince me!
The more I hear about Obama, the more uneasy I get. There are a lot of things circulating via email that are a bit frightening. The video clip at the political rally during the national athem where he blantantly refuses to show respect and honor to our country with the time-honored tradition of holding your hand over your heart was disturbing enough. Then I heard he spent weeks campaigning in Europe?? Huh??! What's the point of that unless you are campaigning for world power...I guess? He is pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage....that definitely goes against my values.
Then there was this clip from a black Christian minister, or whatever his church position is, that was really disturbing...here was a black man telling me that Obama, a black man, was going to destroy all that America and Christianity stand for, and undo all the good of past black crusaders...huh?! This is madness...could it be true?
http://atlah.org/broadcast/
Most recently I received a link to an article that said he has been associated with terrorist funding groups....are you serious? (Although I did seriously wonder about his middle name!)
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=57231
Thankfully I don't know of a single friend who is in favor of Obama (although I did hear one of my relatives had considered voting for him....yikes!)
I guess what concerns me the most is the confusion of people who don't know what to do, who say they don't want to vote because they don't like any of the choices. Even my husband asked me, "Are you going to vote for a woman that should be at home with her family?" I said, "And what's my alternative, to vote for Obama?!" It's pretty black and white for me--honest, there was absolutely NO pun intended there!
I guess what I really wanted to say is PLEASE VOTE! Our church leaders are asking us to vote. They even sent out a letter from the first presidency asking us to make sure our missionaries get absentee ballots to vote. The issues are clear. If ever there was an election where our vote is critical, it is this election!
My very spiritually wise (almost) 22 year old daughter pointed out, "Mom, the October Ensign has made it very clear who we should vote for." If you have any doubts whatsoever, read your Ensign! =)
FIGHT FOR RIGHT!!
STAND FOR TRUTH!!
4 comments:
I'm such a silly. I had one of your earlier posts marked as my favorite, and all these weeks I've been wondering, "Why Peggy hasn't posted in so long?" I think I've got you marked correctly now, and so should be dropping in for a visit more often!
You've been tagged! Come read my blog for the scoop!
I loved Harry Potter. I think I've read each book three times. I was so excited for the movie this Thanksgiving and then they moved it back to next July. July Aund Peggy. What are they thinking? Anyway, I also found lots of symbolism in the stories. I feel like we are all Harrys fighting for what's right even if it means doing things we don't want to do or we wish we didn't have to.
Also thanks for the advice. I am politacally up in the air for the presidental election. We'll just have to see what happens.
WOOHOO! I have read the HP series 5 times! I love it. I also like when Dumbledore tells Harry that it was love that protected him from Voldemort. The love of his mother.
I am with you all the way. I don't want Obama as our president. I won't leave the country if he wins...but it will be a sad day for America...and I am Independent.
Post a Comment