Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Ten Cows

February 3, Wednesday
Tom worked swing shift today and right as he was pulling down the drive-way to go to work about 3:00 the UPS man came…well, it was a woman.  I thought, "I did not order anything, it must be Eli’s.And when she was bringing it to the door it was a highly unusual package and I thought "what on earth?!It was in a styrofoam container and I looked at the name expecting to see Eli and saw stunned to see "Tom Bidwell".  Then I saw it was from Omaha Steaks.  I thought, "oh dear!"  I brought it in and took a pic and texted Tom and said,  “Would you explain this package please??!!”  It had a sticker on it that said:  "Highly Perishable Frozen Products; remove and place in your freezer immediately upon arrival."  I thought, "yikes!"  I had no choice but to open it.  The front also said there was a greeting inside with the shipper’s notice.  The styrofoam was thick-walled and inside was dry ice and it amazed me how frozen the items still were.  There were 3 packages of meat:  Beef Top Sirloin Steaks, Beef Tenderloin Steaks, and Ground beef burgers.  All the while I’m thinking, oh my, how on earth did we get these?!  We’ve had a bad experience in the past buying this meat from door to door salesmen because you get so little for how expensive they are that we could not enjoy them in the least!  We didn’t think they were worth it.
So I go back and look at the shipping information that came out of it and there was a little greeting note inside an envelope stapled to the shipping label, so I open it up and start reading “Johnny Lingo gave 8 cows for his wife…”  What?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My eyes scanned quickly down the writing till I saw Pete Rakozy!!!  Then I started laughing.  It was so funny I had to go sit down!  I texted Lindsey that I needed to call her and that I had to sit down for this one so she called me within 5 minutes.  I read the rest of the card:
Johnny Lingo gave 8 cows for his wife.  I gift you 10 cows…well steak burgers but it’s better because you don’t have to slaughter anything.  Can I marry your daughter?  (Lindsey, none of the others interest me :) )
Peter Rakozy

What a clever idea and so well pulled off!
So I decided to have a little fun with Tom over it.  These are the texts I sent him:
Pic of invoices: 
What did you do??? Did you click on something on your phone or tablet that signed us up for these expensive steaks???
Pic of meat in freezer:  

I had no choice but to put them in the freezer cause how are we supposed to return highly perishable items??!!:(

He texted: I don’t have a clue what you are talking about.
Me:  Didn’t you see the pics?
Him:  Yes, but I still don’t have any idea where they came from and I sure wouldn’t have given any kind of payment.  Check the statements.
Me: well, you will have to look at them when you get home.  They have your information and a greeting card from the company.
Him:  If I have to look into it I won’t even know what to look into. Check Verizon bill or anything that they could’ve charged it to.  Two guys came a few weeks ago, told them no, as they were going out one yells sorry.
Me:  to myself—perfect!!  Text:  Well, I am leaving early (tomorrow) so you are going to have to figure out a way to deal with this.
And of course he called and went into a 5 minute explanation about those 2 sales men that came about 3 weeks ago when I was in town and he told them that I did the shopping and I wouldn’t be interested because they were too expensive.  So they finally left and as they were going down the drive way (he was at the shop) one yelled out the window, ‘sorry!’  I wondered if he had misheard the guy, but how funny is that?!  Perfect timing to play into this whole thing.  He wanted me to do something about it, but the best I could do was say I’d still be up working on my lesson and we’d look at it when he got home...cause of course I had to get this on video!
I told him to let me video him looking through the shipping information in case we needed proof and he fell for it!

No comments: