Saturday, August 25, 2012

LDS Medford Pear Orchard

I had a wonderful experience early early this morning helping my stake pick pears at the Medford Pear Orchard.  The pears are used in the Welfare Program of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to help people all over the world who are in need of food or during any kind of emergency or natural disaster. 
It's pretty rough getting up around 3:30am for a 1 1/2 hour drive to Medford to start picking at 6am, and it's hard work, but it's such a rewarding feeling.  I always feel rather triumphant after I go and help.
The orchard is the only PEAR orchard owned by the church.  I don't know how many acres or how many trees but there are 1082 rows!!
 The rows seem like infinity!  You can't see from one end to the other.

 Dave getting ready to dump his load.  The picking bags work really good.

 The trees were just loaded!



Cindy holding a pear to show how big many of them were.
 Everybody crowding up to the donut and drink truck.  Yum!

 The orchard is so beautiful and well kept.

 We set a record today of 437 bins picked!  Wow!  Exciting!

 The trucks headed out to cold storage!

More of the orchard down by the parking lot.

No comments: