Monday, April 6, 2009

Time To Decorate!

In the middle of all the excitement with the babies, I was having fun helping Lindsey and Emily set up their new apartment. I was the "designated" kitchen organizer. Lindsey didn't feel there was enough cupboard space (especially for food) so she asked her dad to build her a shelf. Then we got the idea to paint it. I suggested we paint it the same color as a special clock... I bought this clock to keep in front of my computer with the London England time on it, while she was on her mission (so I didn't have to keep figuring out what time it was in London--per her suggestion) So, when I bought the clock, I picked a red one so I could give it to her when she got home from her mission. (red being her favorite color!)
So, her dad was quick to get on it using boards he had purchased years ago, and it happened to work out that he brought the shelves up the same day Jaymz was born. While at the hospital Lindsey was scanning craigslist.com and happened onto a couch and loveseat in very good condition for $50, which was a happy day as they had no furniture for their living room.(OK! so it's not the best picture of them. They both have lamps that have those 5 different color of shades, but all you can see is an explosion of light from them!)
The following Monday we went and bought the paint--Apple Red---and over the next two consecutive nights we painted the shelf. We also put up a matching wallpaper border on the dinning room wall, and then I sewed a curtain to cover the shelves. She bought some matching apple place mats. The red clock is on the wall facing the living room.We left the top shelf open for displaying goblets and etc. (I wasn't overjoyed with how the curtain turned out but it will do for now--we need to put hooks on the sides for the tie-backs.)It was a nice fit for cereal boxes and appliances.
Add a few red kitchen items! (She recently got a great deal on an 8-piece red pots and pan set that she said is an exact match to the shelves!)
Apartment decorating on a budget! So much fun!

2 comments:

Traci Lauritzen said...

Yes! I think the shelf turned out awesome! I went over there the other day. And I love love love the color!!

Pink Posts said...

Thanks sweetums! =)