Friday, June 13, 2008

Circumstances...


The world seems to be "falling apart at the seams" the past few weeks. I don't watch the TV news very often but see updates for top headlines on the Meridian Magazine's daily email, and it's just crazy how many things are happening at the moment. The gas prices are just a total shock to the system. Ours is up to $4.32 right now for regular unleaded. There is so much talk of an unstable economy, and many things are going up in price because of the gas problem.

There's a crazy huge fire burning near Chico California. People on the east coast are dying of heat stroke...it said 30 have died now. The tornatoes and storms in the mid-east are unbelievable....they are experiencing some historical flooding right now with the Mississippi and Missouri rivers cresting at almost 31 feet! Can you imagine that?! The town of Cedar Rapids Iowa is practically under water.

It seems like we have become accustomed to so many disasters and bad things happening that it's just so part of life now. But I have sensed a change in this 2008 year---it seemed to come on so suddenly that it has, at times left me trembling in trepidation. Whenever I get that way I have to remind myself how important it is to have faith in our Heavenly Father's Plan, and to remind myself that He does not want us to fear. He will keep us going in whatever our purpose here is and in whatever it is that we need to accomplish, especially as far as His work goes and what our mission is to help with that work.

I found this quote this morning in a little notebook that I have been keeping since 2002, where I would just write one or two liner thoughts that gave me some deep reflection. I pulled it out thinking it would be nice to share some of them on my blog, as I think it is very helpful when we encourage one another in such uncertain times as these. It is:

"One of the purposes of mortality is that one will remain faithful and obedient under all circumstances."

I don't always remember to write the reference, so I don't have one for this. I believe that when you are diligently studying the scriptures the Lord has a certain way of tutoring you so that over a period of time you get life experiences and messages that teach you what you need to know at the moment. He's really been teaching me for a long time that the tests of mortality are important and necessary and they will build the faith and character that we need to be able to return to live with Him again. I have been relearning that He will comfort us in hard times and that builds testimony in Him as we go out and use the comfort that He has given us to comfort others. As we all comfort each other, we will find great strength and our trials will be easier to bear. (2 Corinthians 1:4)

This morning I also read Chapter 13 in Teachings Of The Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, entitled "Obedience: When The Lord Commands, Do It." That is such a great section, and the rewards for obedience are really worth it. Now that I'm in Primary I don't get these lessons in RS so I don't even know what lesson they are teaching, but this was a really great chapter and very motivating. I desire to receive a "crown of righteousness" and be worthy to be at the "Marriage Supper" when Jesus Christ comes to take over the reign of His Church. It's so important to be preparing for that now.

I would recommend another great article that I "stumbled" upon recently (though nothing is a coincidence with the Lord). It's by Jeffery R. Holland in the April 1998 Ensign entitled "Come Unto Me." It is sooo good! And there is much to be said about the peace the Savior offers us as we do come unto Him. He is truly there for those who not only believe in Him, but who make the effort to draw near to Him and learn from Him and live like Him.

1 comment:

Melody said...

You should save this blog for your next talk in Sacrament ;). Great words of wisdom and something to think about. I often try to remember the verse about the rock cut out of the mountain with no hands that continues to roll forward no matter what. Something like that ;). It helps me remember that nothing can stop the gospel from rolling forward, and nothing can stop Heavenly Father and his plan for us.

The stories about the children suffering are the ones I just can't handle. It is too much!