Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Rose And A Thistle....


Life, for the last 2 weeks, has felt like a thistle! I was more exhausted and emotional after Emily's graduation than I thought I would be--especially the emotional part. I guess I was in denial that I could be even remotely sad, being so glad to get it over with. Well, I am glad it's over with....but then I realized how sad I was for closing that chapter on my life. My little girls don't need me in the same way any more. I know I will be opening a wonderful new chapter that I am ready for. Especially because I can now officially spread the word that I am going to be a grandma!!! Traci is expecting a baby and is due on January 15, 2009! =) Very exciting. But in spite of the good news I lapsed into a state of depression for a few weeks. (I'm sure the exhaustion helped, and I was actually sick for about 4 days after the graduation.) And, I've been discouraged on getting behind on so many things around the house with everything that has been going on in my life during the last year and a half. This morning I read this in our June Ensign on page 63:

"A wise old gardener teaches a principle of gardening that can be applied to our attitude toward life: Where you tend a rose, a thistle cannot grow. Good deads and good words can help us keep disappointments and difficulties from dominating our attitude."

That really hit home, as I had been kind of searching for a thought to hold onto and apply to the way I have been feeling. We can and sometimes do dwell on all the things that are wrong in our lives, but when happiness finds it's way in, it is usually because we have been doing good deeds and giving out kind words. There truly are plenty of roses in our lives to overcome the thistles. You can't keep the thistles from growing, but you sure can take a shovel, and with a little work, dig that thistle out of your "garden" of life.

I am sooooo grateful for the roses!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I am so excited for you and of course Traci and Eli. What a wonderful chapter to begin. Tell them my congrat would yeah. My mom is an awesome grandmother if you want any tips. Also, thanks for the perspective.