I had been out of town from Sunday evening the 15th to Thursday morning the 19th when I came back to go to a doctor's appointment. I was helping Emily and Lindsey organize and set up the apartment they moved into on the 14th. I knew Sarah was getting very close to delivery because several pre-labor things had happened, so I pretty much planned on going home and doing laundry and re-packing so I was prepared to come back, but I thought I'd have a few days. Lindsey told me I'd be back in 26 hours. She was dead-on! At about 3:40 AM on Friday the 20th Kasey called to say Sarah's water had broke, so needless to say I only got half a night's sleep (if even) in my own bed. I had done many things Thursday afternoon/evening to repack, but still had more laundry to do Fri. morning since I had washed bedding and stuff for Lindsey on Thursday. I didn't get on the road til about 7:45 so I got to the hospital about 9:15 AM. I continued to be amazed at how fast things progressed with her. I kept comparing things to Traci's labor/delivery and they were so different it kept me stunned. Not even being in the same hospital only 2½ months after Elivia was born kept things similar...even the way the nurses and her doctor did things was pretty different. Sarah hung on pretty good through all her contractions, but at one point, about 2:30 or 3:00 when the nurse was out of the room and I was the only one sitting with her (even though Lindsey was in the room) she had some very fast and intense contractions and very painful, which decided her for an epidural. But of course at that point you needed it 10 minutes ago! Shortly after that was done the doctor checked her and she was ready to push! Sarah and I talked about it and wondered if the doctor had been there, when the intense pains were coming, if Jaymz wouldn't have been born! He was very very low and she said she felt an intense amount of pressure. Anyway, the doctor was busy delivering another baby about the same time, so we had to wait a bit to get going on the pushing, but that took less than an hour and at 4:41 baby Jaymz was here! I didn't watch so much when Elivia was born, but on contemplating Jaymz's arrival I had decided I wanted to see more of the miracle of birth. It was awesome and I handled things way better (so did my stomach). I got very emotional right when I saw his head. When Elivia was born, I was too busy being part of the "pushing team" to get emotional before Elivia was actually out. I had nothing to do during pushing this time except to encourage Sarah and watch. I expected them to whisk Jaymz off to the side room soon after he was placed on his mommy's tummy--but instead, he was there for like 2 hours! They didn't wash off the embryonic fluid for quite a while or clamp the umbilical cord. Tom, Emily, Lindsey and Traci were outside the door listening to everything they could hear, and got to come in shortly after he was born...he still looked like a little ghost baby, which took Tom by surprise.
One of the coolest moments was when he opened his eyes!
Then our family came in to meet him.
Kasey got to cut the cord twice.
We got to see him weighed and measured.
And then watch while his hair got shampooed.
I totally lucked out and got to be the first one to hold him, but only because Kasey had left to get Sarah's stuff so she could shower (she hadn't packed her bag before her water broke!) I also got to put on his first onsie--the one the hospital gave him.
Proud Parents!!
Day 2 at the hospital...A sweet shot of new mommy and baby.
In his car seat ready to go home!
I'm SOOOOO happy he is finally here!! =)
4 comments:
Another beautiful baby, you lucky, lucky grandma! I'm so glad everything went so well. Jaymz is one cute baby boy!
So cute! Hurray for baby boys! I think you're going to have lots of fun in the new world of trucks, dirt, and Star Wars. :)
He is adorable...congratulations!!!
Cute pictures too (o:
He is adorable. All these new moms need blogs so we can all watch them grow. Congrats!!
Post a Comment